Friday, February 28, 2014
Sunday, January 19, 2014
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
1: Artists aren’t born or made. They’re cultivated. You ain’t special. Maybe you could be. But probably not. … I dunno maybe you are.
2. Never forget that in comics your serious, heart felt, absurd & torturous thoughts will be voiced by drawings w/squiggly lines for mouths.
3. The important part of the word “realistic” is “istic”. Whatever you do it’s not going to be reality. Only informed by it.
4. Ultimately all art is abstraction. Reality is the boundary you push toward, against or run along side. But even that’s subjective right?
5. At times it’s okay to let something work only as a drawing. But even then allowing reality to inform that choice might improve it.
6. When you’re in a rut work on “fundamentals”. Building confidence reduces effort & allows it to be put into complexity or experimentation.
7. Have a solid plan because even with all the time in the world you’ll end up doing construction in a hurricane.
8. Embrace that hurricane, who knows what it might blow your way. (This one sounds like some shit on the back of an Oprah’s book club novel).
9. If you’re trying to save the page in the inks or the colors then more times than not you’ve lost the patient already. (or 9B: When you try to polish a turd all you get is shit on your hands.)
10. No practice is off limits so long as the whole piece is benefited by it. Learning a different approach can improve your favored one.
11. Materials/tools are valuable, but they are the least important part of art.
12. Learning no. 11, teaches you to fail. Knowing how to do that is the only way to grow and handle success. BUT…
13. Eventually you will have to pick a hill to die on. Don’t make it every single one.
-Jason Latour 1/7/14
(Originally published via Twitter- @jasonlatour )
Friday, December 6, 2013
Monday, December 2, 2013
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
Monday, October 21, 2013
With conventions in mind I thought I'd give everyone a quick reminder of my last two shows of 2013-- The first of which is COLA CON, this Saturday in Columbia, South Carolina. This is a more or less local show for me and the rare one where I will actually be tabling. So I hope y’all will stop in and say hi. (BBQ flavored gifts are encouraged). Then, at the end of the month I'll be heading to Italy for the first time to see Rome, Florence and attend LUCCA COMICS AND GAMES FESTIVAL . If you're attending either and would like to get on my commission list, please drop me an email via jaslatour at gmail and we can discuss prices, etc.
Again, these are my last two shows for 2013, though if time permits I do plan on doing quite a few more next year with the release of SOUTHERN BASTARDS and the announcement of a new ongoing writing job. So in the event you're a convention organizer or a shop that would like to have me to your show, please contact me at the email address above and I'd be happy to discuss it.
Anyway, more soon...